Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help With User Quotas
dawnfire999
post Apr 4 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,713

i work on a university computer with RHL 7. a ll users are allocated a 100MB disk quota. there was a disk crash quite recently, but it wasrectified with some recovered files kept in a lost on a found folder. Now on checking my quota, it says i use around 94 Mb while running a 'du' command on my home directory says i use only 24 mb. i tried fixing it with the sys admin but he couldnt seem to find the phantom files. is tehre any way i can find them myself and delete them without getting root access?
it will be really helpful if anyone can sort this probelm out!
thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Apr 5 2004, 06:43 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

if du shows a different amount than the quota, the best thing to probably do is to backup the directory, delete the directroy, then create a blank directory and restore.

Sounds like the disc crash has tied up some inodes that should be released.

Also, an fsck on the drive in question might solve the problem ... but the sysadmin would have to do both of those things ... (you probably can create directories in /home or run fsck).

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 12:16 AM