Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Setting Path In X, How do I set the PATH for X?
mdillard
post Dec 15 2002, 07:45 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 242

I am new to Linux and am attempting to get the KDE / Gnome menus to respect my PATH environment variable (so the underlying command is simply "mozilla" rather than being fully qualified, for instance). I've looked for an answer to this for awhile, but can't get things to work for me.

Could someone tell me how to do this?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Dec 16 2002, 01:18 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

It's different for Mozilla to install somewhere that is not in your path. Either way, if you would like to add it to your path, find out where the mozilla binary is located to (locate mozilla, or whatever) and add it to your path by placing these two lines into your ~/.bash_profile (provided you're using bash):

PATH=$PATH:/path/to/mozilla/binary
export PATH

Each time you log in, the path will be exported so you can run mozilla (or any other program in that path) by just typing the executable's name.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
mdillard
post Dec 16 2002, 01:40 PM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 242

Thanks for the response - will this work in X, though? I know that editing ~/.bash_profile is what to use when I am working from a bash shell, but I want the menus in X to respect the path as well. Essentially, as I add an item to the X menu, I must specify the target, and I'm just not sure if setting the path in .bash_profile will affect this or not. I'll try it when I get home, though.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Corey
post Dec 18 2002, 09:00 AM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

If you use bash as your underlying shell, the above method should work. Another thing you could do is install a package called "menu", i'm not sure about other distribtuions, but I know that with Debian, all packages that are installed after installing menu are added to your kde, gnome, windowmaker (etc.) menus automatically (or with the command update-menus). Either way, editing your ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc should work.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 10:36 PM