Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linux N00b, Help Installing DSL Modem
mattywarr
post Mar 24 2004, 08:08 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,638

Hi there.

My names Matt and I am a complete Linux n00b.

I know my way around windows systems pretty much backwards, but I am having a little trouble getting my head round some stuff.

I am however, keen to learn off my own back, but I need to get my internet working on my Linux Drive so I can learn this stuff. Otherwise I have to reboot back to windows everytime. And that takes ages.

Anyway, I downloaded the Redhat 9 i386 ISOs, and installed the full complete everything package. I can log in, move around, and am picking things up slowly. However, I can't install my ADSL PCI Modem.

Its a conexant chipset OEM, and I have downloaded some generic drivers for it. But When I go into my network information and try too add it, I get stuck.

Do I add it as a xDSL device or Modem?
Which "Port" should it go on?
I think I need to run an rpm line to install the driver file, but where do i put the driver file before installing it?

Is there any other info you can offer me?

Thanks in advance,
Matt.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Mar 24 2004, 08:22 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

It would get added as an xDSL device ... not a modem.

Can you point me at the device on the web (at the manufacturer's website), so I know exactly which ADSL modem it is?

And point me to the site you downloaded the drivers from....

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
mattywarr
post Mar 24 2004, 09:38 AM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,638

Well, I got it as part of a DSL bundle I signed up for. its a non specific device using a Conexant Chipset.

http://www.conexant.com/support/md_drivera...assistance.html is where I have gotten the driver from. Although the device itself isn;t listed there, I downloaded the HSF for controllerless modems. Which is essentially what the chipset is.

I have since found that I can apparently run the rpm file from within gnome? Does that work?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 09:16 AM