Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reinstalled Xp, No More Linux Bootloader
gort
post Mar 22 2004, 09:08 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,426

I had mandrake 10 loaded, and was dual-booting xp and linux. It was set to load up the mandrake boot loader so I could choose which OS to load. I reinstalled XP after a format, and now it only boots directly into XP. Your suggestions? Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Mar 22 2004, 09:32 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

I guess my first advise is ... don't do that laugh.gif ... OK, that was my attempt at humor...now to fix the problem.

Boot from the Mandrake 10 CD-1 ... (or CD-2 if your CD-1 won't boot) ... at the first screen, press F1 to get to the boot prompt:

type the command:

linux rescue then press enter

(if that gives you garbage for text, when the hard drive stops blinking, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot, press F1 and type:

linux rescue vga=792 and press enter

when you get to the selection menu, pick:

Re-Install Boot Loader

then reboot and it should be back to normal...

Windows doesn't give you the option of using another boot loader ... they figure once you install their product, you wouldn't need anything else. It's just that daggone GOOD! (errrrrr, or maybe not)

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 07:07 AM