Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linux Help, installation help required
chandru123
post Dec 13 2002, 07:06 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 235

i have an Intel 810 Motherboard with a celeron 1 Ghz processor and 40GB HDD with 256 MB RAM...

i think all the cd's in the pack are bootable ones... so i booted the system using the first cd. i had previously paritioned and activated the linux partitions from within Windows using Partition Magic 6.0.
i previously had mandrake 8.2 on my system and i had formatted the partition to remove it....

i was able to install the keyboard, kernel driver files and other stuff...

then the installation prompted me to install the Base system...
that was when the problem started... the installation goes upto 50% completion when it gives an error that a file named (nvi_1.79-20_i386.deb) is corrupt and installation will not continue without that file.

i tried downloading the particular file from the net. i then copied all the files on the cd to my Hard Disk and then booted using the cd. i pointed the location of these files to my Hard Disk and it found all the packages intact, and the installation gives the same error even when installed from the cd.

please help
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Dec 13 2002, 11:16 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Which distribution were you attempting to install? My guess is a debian-based distribution by the *.deb file it's looking for. If it's Debian you're trying to install, you may want to try a net install to see if that works. During the installation program, you should be able to activate your network by initializing the kernel module for your NIC, then connecting to the internet with the network setup. When it finally comes to install the base system, the installation program should ask you what medium you would like to use, you should choose network (or ftp, depending on the option that is there), and install that way. You should not have any missing files then because the installation will download and install all nessesary packages.

If you're attempting to install a different debian-based distro, then this process may vary.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
frodo44
post Dec 14 2002, 01:25 PM
Post #3

./configure

Group: Members
Member No.: 213

I had problems like this installing Redhat 7.3. I guess I just got a screwed up iso. If you have the time, try redownloading the disks again, if you did download.

PS, I downloaded Redhat 8 instead and haven't had a problem.

--------------------
Windows XP; Debian 3.0r2 (Woody)
---
Shuttle AK32 Mobo w/ Athlon XP 1700+ @ 266 FSB
GeForce 4 mx440 64mb
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 5.1 Surround Sound
256 MB DDRAM
Seagate 80gb, Western Digital 40gb
---
weezle@charter.net

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 05:20 AM