Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linux Server
andy1974
post Mar 15 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #1

./configure

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,454

OK another question
i set up and machine with Linux server, and what i want to do is use it as a VERY simple file server for my home network. Heres where i am so far....i have made a directory under the /root login and have made it shared. I have 4 XP machines on the home network and i want all user of the xp machine to be able to gain access to the root directory that i made. read and write access. i can see the samba server on all machines but i need to know how to make it where the is no pass word needed ... i am new to linux and i dont want to make my fustrations trash my project....ANY HELP WOULD BE AWSOME
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Mar 16 2004, 07:13 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

First ... please don't double post (put the same post in multiple sections of the forum....I removed your other post from Tips & Tricks) biggrin.gif

We may move this post to Tips & Tricks later....
-------------------------------
You do not want to create the directory under /root ... /root is the root users home directory and not where you want to put anything that is accessed by all users.

What is your distro of Linux?

The easiest thing to do (that is also somewhat secure) is this .... create users in linux for all the users on your WinXp machines (that have usernames in XP) ... if you don't know your username in WinXP, then at the WinXP command prompt type this command (followed by enter):

echo %USERNAME%

The username and password for each user on WinXp needs to be the same on each XP machine (ie, if username bill has access to 2 machines ... his username should be bill on each and his password should be the same on each)...you would then create a user in Linux for Bill (called bill) using the same password he has in WinXP.

You also need to create a group in Linux named samba and make each of your new users a member of the new samba group. How you do this depends on your linux distro....

Now you need a directory to share stuff in ... I would recommed /home/samba ... so do this (as root from a command terminal):

mkdir /home/samba

now we will assign the group samba as the group of this directory (make sure you have already created the samba group....)

chown -R root:samba /home/samba

now we need to change the permissions so that all members of the samba group have full privs to write to the new shared folder ....

chmod 775 /home/samba

now let's check our work ....

ls -al /home | grep samba

it should return something that looks like this:
CODE
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     samba        4096 Mar 16 05:37 samba

[the date might be different ... the important parts are that the permissions are drwxrwxr-x and the group is samba (the position between root and filesize {in this case 4096} is group].

Now, go to your /etc/samba/smb.conf file and add this to the end:
CODE
[samba]
       comment = Samba File Server
       path = /home/samba
       valid users = @samba
       write list = @samba
       read only = No
       browseable = Yes

Save the file, and now restart samba ... with most distros, you will do that with this command:

/etc/init.d/smb restart

(if that doesn't restart samba and you don't know how to restart it, tell me your distro and I'll help you figure it out).

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
andy1974
post Mar 16 2004, 08:15 AM
Post #3

./configure

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,454

OK sorry bout that ....i am using redhat fedora which looks and seems to run like 9.0....and just to be clear all the users need to have read write access to the directory.....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 10:01 PM