Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vi /etc/fstab Problems, it won't allow me to edit
noblerya
post Mar 15 2004, 04:51 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,589

and yes, it is another nub lost in a sea of insurmoutable script. Ah, my pc refuses to allow me to boot to windows, or dos. I log in as root, open my vi /etc/fstab and it gives me an "example only" and tells me to refer to fstab(5) or mount(1) to see further details. I need to access the real fstab so I can insert script that will allow me to boot to windows. ANyone who can help me would be really appreciated. I need to access the windows drive to recover an essay that I am disinclined, and not likely able to reproduce, for an angry, decidedly not sober english prof.

TO those who rock
I salute you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Mar 15 2004, 06:02 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

fstab doesn't have anything to do with booting.... only mounting disk partitons in linux.

What is your linux distribution and what bootloader are you using (lilo or grub) ... your bootloader is what we want to fix....if you want to boot to windows.

We might be able to mount the windows drive and copy the file off as well ... for that, we can use the mount command...or fstab.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 10:42 AM