Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Setting Up A Linux Server
StevenMig
post Mar 14 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,497

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if you could get a free website somewhere (geocities etc.), and then redirect it to your ip address, so you could have your own server without having to buy a domain name. Also, since I have a dynamic ip, maybe I could have a script/program that could check my ip and update the web site. Would this be possible? Would it be a good idea? Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
hughesjr
post Mar 14 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Actually, you can use zoneedit.com's free dynamic DNS service .... look at the Unix Clients for scripts to keep zoneedit updated.

All the free services (like geocities) will kick you off if they see you are rerouting the traffic...

There are domain names available for $4.95/year (for .us and .biz), and 7.95/year for .com addresses at GoDaddy.com ... just setup a free account on zoneedit.com, add the domains to zoneedit.com, they tell you what name servers to use ... go back to the GoDaddy.com, buy the domains and point them to the zoneedit name servers ...

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- StevenMig   Setting Up A Linux Server   Mar 14 2004, 12:31 PM
- - hughesjr   Actually, you can use zoneedit.com's free dyna...   Mar 14 2004, 09:57 PM
- - StevenMig   Thanks very much!!   Mar 15 2004, 09:52 PM
- - Joey   You can register a .tk domain name for free - htt...   Mar 16 2004, 06:03 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 11:29 PM