Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Partition Problems, Is Drake 9.x broken for large drives?
igor
post Mar 10 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,556

I'm running Mandrake 9.2 on an AMD K6-450 MoBo with a 1998 Award BIOS, have an Adaptec SCSI running four IBM disks, two 4GB, one 5GB, one 9GB. The two 4GB and the 9GB howl like banshees, so I decided to replace them with a WD 160GB IDE drive (WD1600JB-00EVA0). The system boots off of the 5GB SCSI, so I decided to make the IDE drive one huge volume (160GB, or whatever I coould get to format...) and mount it as /data0.

Hardware installation is just fine. BIOS recognizes it just fine. DiskDrake recognizes it just fine (in command line or in XTerm) (I'm running the KDE XWin desktop).

I format it for 152,625 MB, which is the largest DiskDrake will let me go, FSType is ext3 (type 83), mount point is /data0, I *do not* format it, click on the OK button, have it write to the fstab file, then exit DiskDrake and KDE desktop. Reboot. do a df. df reports that /dev/hda1 is only 7.1M big! I go back into DiskDrake to see what's going on, it says that /data0 in /dev/hda1 is formatted, mounted, and everything is peachy-keen. HUH?

Any ideas?

Steve Egan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
igor
post Mar 11 2004, 05:49 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,556

Well, to all of you reading this post:

Looks like the 1998 Award BIOS just flat refuses to recognize 160G drives properly. Here's what I found:

Linux thinks the drive's CHS is: 19456 255 63
The Award BIOS thinks the CHS is: 16383 16 63
Western Digital says the CHS is: 16383 16 63

The BIOS says there's only 8.3 GB available on the drive. Apparently the BIOS is reading the params from the IDE controller correctly, but chokes on the information. If I go into the BIOS and set the drive params to what Linux wants, the machine freezes up. When I run fdisk, it sees the drive as a 160G. When I format it using either mkfs or mke2fs, it performs the format just fine. fsck or e2fsck barfs, reporting the superblock info is hosed. When I try to mount it, same story. No amount of coaxing/tweaking gets me anywhere, so I guess I'm stuck with putting the drive in my Windoze machine and ghosting its info over to the 160G drive. I'll use the Windoze's drive (80G) in the file server instead. Sigh.

I might see if I can get the BIOS flashed to a better version, but I will probably end up swapping the motherboard with something more modern. Such is life in the used MoBo world...

Igor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 09:11 AM