Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Modem Help Please, My modem driving me crazy, help please
lesio1974
post Mar 8 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #1

I Eat C Code for Breakfast

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,544

Hello

I am new to the Linux, just installed Red Hat 9.0 a few days ago. Installation was a breeze, the system was up and running in no time.

But when trying to configure the internet connection, I hit a snag with my modem. Here is what is happening:

I am using KDE, so I went to KPPP to configure my connection. The modem is a US Robotics PCI model 5610, hardware-based (bought specifically for Linux, as winmodem support is spotty I hear). KPPP is pointing to devmodem as default and I left that setting alone. Then I entered the rest of info, following the excelent KPPP tutorial at www.wurd.com. Having finished and checked the configuration, I hit connect and nothing happened, KPPP just kept displaying "Initializing modem" forever. Hit "Cancel", go back to KPPP setup. This time I clicked on "Query Modem" button and the modem responded to all ATI commands that KPPP sent. So I went to the Terminal part of KPPP and tried a few commands and the modem responded. It even dialed out my ISP's access number and got connected but only from the Terminal, when manually entering commands. So it is not a hardware problem (besides, modem works fine under Windows) but rather software I guess. It is really puzzling, the modem dials out and connects from Terminal, but not when you use KPPP "Connect" button. Am I doomed to manual connections via Terminal commands??? If so I am not familiar with modem commands enough to establish a connection, I can only make it dial from terminal.

I tried GNOME and it's Network Device Control option as well (as described in "Red Hat 9.0 for dummies"). After the setup, it tries to activate the connection, but a message pops up "Unable to activate the connection, Error 8".

US Robotics website has a driver RPM for Red Hat 6.0 and higher, tried it but to no avail.

This is the best I can do to desrcibe the problem. It is really frustrating and puzzling situation, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Greg L.

--------------------
-- The Pole
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- lesio1974   Modem Help Please   Mar 8 2004, 10:51 PM
- - Corey   It sounds like your /dev/modem is not pointing to ...   Mar 11 2004, 03:20 PM
- - lesio1974   Hello Sorry, I got frustrated waiting for any rep...   Mar 11 2004, 07:02 PM
- - lesio1974   Hello Just wanted to let you know that I am OK. D...   Mar 12 2004, 03:36 AM
- - Corey   congrats   Mar 12 2004, 11:14 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 02:44 PM