Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Monitor Settings, Question about monitor drivers in Fedora
GreenAdder
post Mar 7 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,530

According to the back of my monitor, it's a MAG 786N. When I decided to change the settings in Gnome, the only MAG 786 drivers they had were for the 786FD. My questions are:

Is this the same driver? I'm still using generic monitor drivers right now.

Will I gain any improvement (performance or otherwise) by switching to specific monitor drivers over the generic ones? I'm running at 1280x1024 and everything looks alright to me.

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Mar 8 2004, 08:51 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

The only real thing that matters concerning a monitor is it's refresh rate and horizontal scan settings.

If you know the correct values for those, you can manually enter them in the /etc/X11/XF86Config file.

What you are likely to get is a higher scan /refresh rate at the selected resolution ... but if you are not having any problems and like the resolution now, you don't have to change it.

If you don't know your monitors scan rate, you can usually look it up on the web .... I couldn't find any specs for MAG 786N ... only MAG 786FD.

I would write an e-mail to MAG Innovision and ask them for the minimum and maximum Refresh Rate and Horizontal Scan Rate for the MAG 786N ... thier e-mail is:

ptsrma@proview.com.cn

Or maybe here:
http://www.proview.net/service/index.htm

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 03:35 PM