Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dsl Setup?, The online manuals don't help
gick01
post Mar 5 2004, 03:31 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,522

I'm running Redhat 9 build 2.4.20-6 and I'm trying to set up the dsl. My service provider is sbc yahoo and I'm using the 2wire modem. The modem is attached to a hub that also has a win 98 machine on it. The windows machine will connect along with win xp(that I didn't run the setup software on). The linux box is a dell dimension 4100 with the network card configured and working. I know its working because I can ping the win 98 machine and the isp's ip. I ran the internet setup wizard and set it all up and I get an error that says "/sbin/adsl-start: line 217: 4905 terminated $connect "$@" >/dev/null 2>&1" when I click on activate in the network configuation window. I know that the isp is using ppp and I know all the networking information from them. I tried installing the rpm rp-pppoe-3.5-1.i386 and I recieved an error message that says that a newer version is installed. What information does the linux box send the the isp to get online? I'm already connected to them through the 98 machine does that matter? What should I have for provider name? Does my login name have to end with sbcglobal.net? I've tried all the configurations that I can think of. I know that I can go thourgh the 98 machine to get on but I don't want to do that. I need it to be stand alone. Any ideas?

Note: I'm using the gui for all my configurations.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Mar 5 2004, 07:39 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Your ISP probably only allows 1 connection to the internet from your location ... most do.

You will want to do internet sharing ... which requires a router between the cable modem and your multiple PCs.

The router can be either a standalone item (like the D-Link DI-604 or the Netgear RP614), or either of your computers with 2 network cards.

the way it would be connected is:

isp-----modem------router-----other PCs

If you use a PC with 2 NICs, a hub would be connected to the second NIC and all the other PCs would plug in to the hub.

Here is how to do internet connect sharing with WinXP ... here is how to do it with linux.

If you have (or are going to get) a laptop and want wireless access with it to the intenet, then you can get an external router (like the first 2 products) with wireless support ... you would also by a wireless NIC card for each PC you wanted to connect wirelessly. Here are a couple examples of a wireless routers (Dlink, Netgear)

Strictly from a security standpoint (most secure first), my choice order for the router would be Linux, router, XP, wireless router.

From an ease of setup standpoint (easiest first), I would say it would be router, wireless router, XP, Linux.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
linuxwolf069
post Mar 6 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,528

you said you could ping the pc and the isp address?

what are those addresses???

It almost seems like they are running on a local network. If this is the case, then u probably already have a router. This means if you set the router as a gateway, it should browse (with correct dns settings of course)

If it requires a username and password, you have to make sure these are in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

Format is:

"username" * "password"

Then try your dsl setup.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 09:36 AM