Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Debian (ftp Server Perhaps)
CyberSlug
post Feb 25 2004, 08:59 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,467

A little history here. I am a total newbie. In the past, I have installed RH 7.x, 8.x, Lycoris, Mandrake 9.0 and dinked around with Knoppix. All of these had the GUI. I never really did anything with them because I really didn't know what to do with them. I want to learn command line stuff so I thought I would try to set up a sendmail server or FTP server using Debian (FTP would be more useful for me). Can anyone point me towards some guides for this? About Debian is a good source of info but they state that the procedures they use in the guides are not secure and should not be used on an internet server. The only way I am ever going to learn this stuff is to just do it. I have never used any of the server stuff on any of the distros so any recommendations would be helpful.

Thoughts are appreciated.
-CyberSlug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Feb 26 2004, 01:57 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Debian is a really nice distribution for several reasons, the biggest reason is apt-get. If you're not faimiler with this tool yet, check it out. Debian is built upon a 3-part packaging system, think of it as a sandwitch:

dpkg - The package manager for Debian, similar to Redhat's RPM (among other distros but redhat made it). This is what installs the packages and maintains the package database.

dselect - The *ahem* "graphical" package interface. I use quotations for a reason, most people find dselect a very user un-friendly interface, personally i love it because it's what i was use to. When you first start dselect, make sure you read the help page first, it's VERY useful. If you want something a little "simpler" use tasksel

apt-get - The bread and butter of the sandwitch. Apt-get determines all dependancies for a given package, retrieves them from any number of sources, and then installs them. With one, small, command line, your package can be downloaded and installed in no time. Dependancy issues long plauged the linux world until apt-get came along. For example, "apt-get install gaim" will not only download and install gaim, it will also do a check for anything it depends on, such as gtk, aspell, gtkspell and download and install those as well. No more dependacy hell (as i called it) having to trudge through dozens of websites to get what you need.

Another great thing about Debian is that the package developers know what they're doing. When they put a package together, they don't just take the vanilla source code, compile it, then ship it. They take time and effort to make sure that the default configuration files are suitable and secure for your debian system. After installing most of debians packages, the user sometimes doesn't have to edit any configuration files at all! Those that require user input are prompted for by debconf on install. It's great!

So, getting back to what you were asking, just say if you wanted to install a ftp server, it could be as simple as:

apt-get install proftpd

That will download and install proftpd, ask you a few questions, and bang, it's ready to go.

Give it a shot, and post any questions you have.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 06:36 PM