Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> "no Such Device", What does this mean?
cguillet
post Feb 24 2004, 09:27 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,439

What does the error message "No such device" mean?

I configured a Lucent winmodem using the rpm package ltmodem. Configuration appeared to be successful. Linux put the modem on ttyLT0.

When I try to access the modem (through KDE or the bash shell), I get an error message that say "No such device."

The modem file, /dev/modem, also returns "No such device." (I assume it is linked to ttyLT0).

There IS a device named ttyLT0 in the /dev directory. It can be accessed with the "ls" command, but efforts to "display" the contents of the device with "cat" also return "No such device."
Any suggestions? SuSE support got me this far and won't help anymore because they say it's a hardware issue.
thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
cguillet
post Feb 25 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,439

I've run this to ground and found it to be a problem with the ltmodem rpm package from SuSE. Linux loads ltmodem, then unloads it (citing a licensing problem), then switches to ltserial (which is itself a part of the ltmodem rpm package). Ltserial returns an error message. Then the process shuts down, resulting in a "No such device" error when the modem is thereafter triggered.

I tried the latest update of the rpm package (I think it's 8.26a-179.patch.rpm)--no luck.

+Quote Post
linuxwolf069
post Mar 6 2004, 04:40 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,528

there is a way to check the modem to see if it is working in linux without requiring the drivers to be loaded..

I wrote a FAQ about this for another forum... It can be found at:

Dialup Setup

give that a shot.

+Quote Post
reductionist
post Mar 7 2004, 01:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,535

OK, best thing is to download the ltmodem source files (don't panic, this is really straightforward!). Once that's done maybe login as root. Extract the gz file (right-click in GNOME or KDE and choose "extract to.." option). This will create a directory called ltmodemxxxxx (xxxxx = version number). Open a terminal. Move into this directory ( cd ltmodemxxxxx ). Look at the readme file. Now, do "./build_module" (for pre-2.6 kernels) and accept all the <press enter to continue> prompts (about 20 of them, if memory serves...).

Anyway, it will tell you if it encounters any errors and if it all is well just do what the program says and you will, all things being equal, have a working winmodem!.

I found it worked first time and for subsequent kernel compiles - just repeat the process. I have since moved to 2.6.3 and the new ltmodem driver (beta) works just as well. It is a godsend - those guys really know what they're doing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 12:38 PM