Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gtw V.92 Voicemodem / Rh Fedora On Gw 450sx, Can't dial up my isp / No dial-tone
linux_junky
post Feb 16 2004, 07:15 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388

Greetings Fello Linux Enthusiasts:

Rumor has it, I can get some Linux Help here. Great.

It seemed intuitive to type in Linux Help and have a website returned by google instantaneously and with a name of linuxhelp.ca, no less.

Ok, I am hooked on Linux, hence my handle, "linux_junky".

Let's get right to it--my dilema--my issue--problem--(I need help ok?):

Setting up a second primary partition on my Gateway Laptop (450SX) with RedHat Linux (Fedora) was a painless process and using GRUB to boot up to either WinXP or Linux works very nicely.

Once I figured out that you should avoid 'like the plague' installing the GRUB to the MBR and rather put it on the first sector of the Linux boot partition, I was in business.

First time around, I wacked the MBR and long story short, I had to reinstall WinXP, bla bla bla and went back to it.

Ok, I am now using Linux and realize that HEY maybe I can dial up my ISP with Mozilla. Do you think?
Yeahhh! er ahhhh...Noooooooo!.

I download scanmodem run it to verify the chipset (Intel '97AC Audio Modem Riser).

Apparently, I have one of those *winmodems*, GTW V.92 Voicemodem, and well, maybe it'll work (maybe it won't) with Linux using a 'SmartLink' driver that you have to compile.

Ok, so I download, I make, I link, I compile, it dances a jig. I have a symbolic link to /dev/modem -> ./ttyS0.

The Makefile that comes with the driver defaults linking to COM1.

kppp goes thru "query modem" diagnostic seemingly fine.
Pressing Connect returns "OK" "OK' for each AT command up to "Expecting: Connect".
And then nothing. No dial tone. Times out and tries again.

No, I don't have a bad phone line. Thank you for asking.

When I boot up WinXP, it shows in the control panel as COM3 and using IRQ10.
According to what I see in other web 'how-to' sources ./ttyS0 is mapped to IRQ4?

So now I am thinking is this part of the problem and do I have to use 'setserial' or something?

Does the pppd need to be loaded? I don't see it with ps.

Is there anyone out there? Hello?

Does anyone here know about this?
Who's in charge here!
All kidding aside, HELP ME. Palllleease!

Thank you.

linux_junky
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 11:04 PM