Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rpm And Deb Packages In Xwindows, I'm running slackware (Vector Linux)
poetfreak
post Feb 15 2004, 04:00 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,322

I am running vector linux and I want to add a package manager that allows me to install RPM packages (and debian packages, too if I could) in X.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Feb 15 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

I would recommend that you instead try SWareT ... but point it to the vectorlinux updates site, not the slackware sites.

Using RPM with vector (or slackware for that matter) will cause problems, because many things are handled differently (the startup scripts, the location of programs with in directories, etc.).

I know you had sound problems before, but now that you know the module names ... do the command:

lsmod

to get a fully list of them ... you can load them in other versions of linux that have rpm and apt-get (like fedora ...) or you can use mandrake and use the command urpmi....

Actually, you might try the LiveCD for PCLinuxOS 2K4 ... it is based on Mandrake 9.2 ... but uses apt-get for updates. You can boot from the live CD and see if the sound works (starting out, login as root ... the password is also root). See this news thread for more info on PCLinuxOS 2K4.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 01:03 PM