Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Still In Trouble...
fiatas
post Feb 13 2004, 01:13 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,363

Ok I've read pretty much everything from the forum & the guides.

unsure.gif Thing is I still have some questions I have to apply!!!

First as far as I understood the O/S either e.g Mandrake or Red Hat include almost anything u need to run the Linux and they give u the choice of choosing what u like to use without having to dl from net apart from updates.

After u install the O/S it reboots and u have to use a floppy.How to make it or where can i find one boot floppy?And will I have to use the floppy each time I reboot my PC or it's only for the first time?

The other thing is I would like to ask if I must have Windows installed or I can have only Linux and only Linux in my hard drive as the unique O/S?

Last I've seen some issues with incompatibility reffering the hardware.

So some of the specs are:

AMD Athlon 2.2
Asus
Maxtor 80gb
Ati 9200 64 mb
256 ddr 333
Lite-on 52 CDR/RW
Samsung 48x DVD
Sounblaster 5.1

Will it be ok?

Please give me some answers. huh.gif

Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shaggy999
post Feb 13 2004, 02:35 AM
Post #2

Grub-er

Member No.: 2,170

QUOTE (fiatas @ Feb 13 2004, 01:13 AM)
Ok I've read pretty much everything from the forum & the guides.

unsure.gif Thing is I still have some questions I have to apply!!!

First as far as I understood the O/S either e.g Mandrake or Red Hat include almost anything u need to run the Linux and they give u the choice of choosing what u like to use without having to dl from net apart from updates.

After u install the O/S it reboots and u have to use a floppy.How to make it or where can i find one boot floppy?And will I have to use the floppy each time I reboot my PC or it's only for the first time?

The other thing is I would like to ask if I must have Windows installed or I can have only Linux and only Linux in my hard drive as the unique O/S?

Last I've seen some issues with incompatibility reffering the hardware.

So some of the specs are:

AMD Athlon 2.2
Asus
Maxtor 80gb
Ati 9200 64 mb
256 ddr 333
Lite-on 52 CDR/RW
Samsung 48x DVD
Sounblaster 5.1

Will it be ok?

Please give me some answers. huh.gif

Thanks in advance

Mandrake and RedHat are distributions of Linux, so they don't give you what you need to "run Linux"... they ARE Linux. I think what you meant is they give you everything you need to do useful stuff (like web browsers, text editors, media players, graphical environment stuff... etc) and they set up Linux using autoconfiguration types of stuff. And yes, you can choose what programs you want installed. I just installed RedHat about a week ago and it had quite a bit of functionality out-of-the-box. The main lacking feature was multimedia capabilities. Due to licensing issues, MP3 support was removed from XMMS in RedHat... so you'll have to find, download, and install the component that allows MP3 decoding. Also there didn't seem to be a decent video player, so I downloaded mplayer so now I can watch DVDs/Video CDs/MPEG/RealMedia/DivX/Quicktime/WMV/etc

As for needing to boot from a floppy, I'm not sure where you got that from. You don't need a floppy disk to boot the operating system at all. There are two nice boot loaders (LILO and GRUB, you choose which you want) which are installed to the hard disk and allow you to boot Linux just the way Windows does. And in fact LILO and GRUB support (if everything is set up right biggrin.gif) booting multiple OS's, not just Linux.

And of course you can have just Linux on the computer! Linux is a COMPLETE operating system just like Windows, and it has no association with Windows. In fact, it's easier to have just Linux installed than to configure dual booting Windows & Linux (I ran into problems myself blink.gif) However, be aware that installing Linux in ANY case will in most cases result in wiping all the data from your system (unless you use something like Partition Magic to resize/move your partitions... which can fail) so be aware that if you're going to install Linux on a system that currently already has Windows installed that you should back up your files to another computer or CD-R.

Your hardware looks fine as far as I can tell. However the big issue is how do you connect to the internet? If you connect via a modem, that's going to be your big problem. Pretty much 99.9999% of all modems sold for quite some time (like what... 8 - 9 years?) are WinModems.... that means that the physical modem hardware is rather simplified and a lot of the crucial functionality of the modems is actually written into a driver which runs on the main CPU instead of being on the modem hardware itself.... these drivers are written for Windows only, which means the modem will not work in Linux! If your modem is external (and connects via a serial port or something, not USB!) then it might work. If you have an ethernet card installed in your computer and you connect via the ethernet card (either you have a cable/dsl modem that connects to it or you connect to a local network) then you should be fine.

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Feb 13 2004, 07:07 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Pretty much agree with everything that shaggy said ...

No need to boot from a floppy at all ... in fact, in most of my linux machines, I don't even have a floppy drive installed.

If you want to have a dual boot machine, you need to have unused partition space available for create 2 partitions ... which is not normally the case on pre installed windows PCs. As shaggy also said, Partition Magic 8 can allow you to resize NTFS/FAT32 partitons on Windows drives and make free space for the Linux Partitions.

I want to stress that this is a dangerous operation that can result in losing your other install ... so, I recommend that buying another hard drive as the safest and easiest way to install Linux to dual boot environment. Then the different OSes are on seperate drives ... much safer.

Most IDE computers can control 4 IDE devices ... so if you currently have 1 hard drive and 1 CDROM and maybe a CDRW (floppy is seperate from IDE), that is 3 devices, so you should be able to add a second drive.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
fiatas
post Feb 13 2004, 09:09 AM
Post #4

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Member No.: 2,363

Oh thank you very much guys now i feel ready to make the move!!! wink.gif

In your opinion which one is better to install mandrake or red hat?

Take notice that my pc mostly will be configured just to burn cds(my favourite biggrin.gif ) play music and watching movies tongue.gif .

Later on I hope I will give my PC the chance to connect to Internet!!!

Thank you very much!!!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Feb 13 2004, 04:59 PM
Post #5

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Mandrake is better from a multimedia standpoint ... you have to download and configure some things extra for RedHat.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 11:54 PM