Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Dual Monitor / Multiple Monitor, 2 monitors, 2 displays, is it possible?
birdhouse
post Feb 12 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,367

I am fairly new to Linux. I have 2 video cards in my system (geForce 3, and geForce 2 MX), and I am trying to get dual monitor support. I have no idea how to do this.

I have tried RH9, Slackware, and Mandrake 9.2 and tried using the config utils from each distro to get both cards recognized and functional... RH9, and M9.2 both register both cards, but I don't know to enable them both. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
birdhouse
post Feb 12 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #2

I posted this in hardware support, but I thought it might be better off here...

I am fairly new to Linux. I have 2 video cards in my system (geForce 3, and geForce 2 MX), and I am trying to get dual monitor support. I have no idea how to do this.

I have tried RH9, Slackware, and Mandrake 9.2 and tried using the config utils from each distro to get both cards recognized and functional... RH9, and M9.2 both register both cards, but I don't know to enable them both. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Feb 13 2004, 06:54 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

It is actually not very hard....

This shows what you need to basically do to your /etc/X11/XF86Config file.

You, of course, will use different drivers and probably have different bus IDs for your cards...

Since you are using Nvidia cards ... you want to download the latest nvidia driver from the nvidia website and use the twin view option. See this thread.

NOTE: --- I combined the 2 posts you made together and moved the combined post to Hardware support (either place, hardware or technical is fine ... but I didn't want 2 posts of the same question ... it gets trickey if people reply to both posts) smile.gif

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
birdhouse
post Feb 13 2004, 12:55 PM
Post #4

so basically all I have to do is install the latest nvidia drivers, and edit my xfree config?

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Feb 13 2004, 04:57 PM
Post #5

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Yes ... set up 2 monitors and 2 cards in XF86Config and in the Section "ServerLayout" call both screens.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
birdhouse
post Feb 13 2004, 05:23 PM
Post #6

thanks a bunch!!! now i just need to get photoshop working biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 07:34 PM