Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Samba Networking Problem, w2k and mandrake 8.2
lowlyfe
post Feb 11 2004, 08:09 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,353

I hope that this hasn't been asked before, if it has sorry but I really need help with this. I have two computers, one running win2k pro and the other running mandrake 8.2 with samba 2.2.3 installed. Both computers are connected to a D-Link DI-604 router. I tried to ping the Linux machine from the Windows machine which works, but when I try to ping the Windows machine from the Linux machine it doesn't, I guess that could be the first of my root of my problems. Also, whenever I try to click on "Local Network" i get an error message that says "Could not connect to host localhost". I also read that if you try to enter smb://{computer name} that would work but when I try it I get "Could not connect to host {computer name}. I went through a tutorial that seemed easy enough but nothing seems to work. My smb.conf file looks like this:

#Global Parameters

workgroup name = home
netbios name = Samba
encrypt passwords = yes

[homes]
read only = no
browseable = yes

[music]
path = root/data/mp3
browseable = yes
write list = {users}

[apps]
path = /root/data/apps
browseable = yes
valid users = @admins, root

Also under the control center the configuration is:
Internet access
Type: lan
Gateway: none..........i think this might have to be the address of my router but I have no Idea what ip address to use the actuall adress of the router [192.168.0.1] or Default Gateway which is [68.115.28.1]. Also in my router settings you can set up a Local Domain Name, it says that it is optional but I was wondering if I could put something there to make it work, i put "samba" in there, which is the same as the Hostname under the Mandrake control center
the Network and Internet Configuration is LAN Connection - ethernet card detected, Automatic IP (boot/dhcp) and to Start at boot, Hostname: samba(???)
I was also told that I would need to configure LISa also but haven't had any luck with that either. I know this is kind of long and i probably included information that I don't need to but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
camorri
post Feb 12 2004, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,146

It sounds to me as if you have a IP problem, if you can not ping in both directions, this is the first thing to work on. Here is a link to some very good SAMBA documantation. Look at chapter 12. It has a fault tree in it, and will walk you through the problem determination. http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html

There is also a very good setup chapter for various windoze flavours, if you need any guidance there.

--------------------
Cheers,

Cliff

+Quote Post
albustansintra
post Feb 13 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,373

1. First make sure you test with no firewall, if your firewall is up you could be blocking ICMP pings.
2. Double check your subnet mask, it should be the same on both pcs. Your IP's have to be in the same class..
3. If things continue ugly try using ethereal to see the packets whilst your pinging, it can be very helpfull. I once changed the MAC on one of the NICS to 111.111.111.111 and only figured that out got the network up again after looking it through with ethereal.

And yes, number 1 priority get them pinging, no use messing around with hostnames or .conf's untill you can ping the neighbour!

good luck

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 10:00 AM