Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ssh To Telnet, Need help setting up Linux to redirect
Beethovan
post Feb 11 2004, 03:54 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,351

I'm using SuSE linux 9.0, kernel version 2.4.21-99, using a static ip address. I am needing to set it up so that a users can SSH into this linux box and after verification it automatically redirects the users to another computer via Telnet. The server it's being redirected to is a SCO box and installing SSH on that box is not an option. I've been told that i can use iptables to do this task for me, but being that i'm a noob with linux, i am lost when it comes to setting up such a task. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Beethovan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Feb 11 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Well ... you don't want to use iptables to port forward the user because that will allow the login to take place in clear text.

You initial comment about logging into the first server via SSH is a good one ... it will allow all comunications to be encrypted.

For the users that you want to automatically telnet to the SCO server, add this line to the bottom of their .bash_profile file in their home directory:

telnet -a ip_address

they will be prompted for their password and automatically login to the SCO server...don't add this line for accounts that need to be able to issue commands on the suse server...

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
Beethovan
post Feb 11 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #3

Ok, now the account we're using on the SCO box is a Public access account and doesn't not use a password, so if i create the account on the SuSE box, add that string, once they log into the SuSE box, it will automatically redirected them via telnet to the SCO box, where they can just hit enter and automatically be logged in right? Thanks for the information btw. It really helps alot.

Beethovan

P.S. I also need to know if another command can be used to make it substitute the users (like su would) to a different account on the sco box, because we have a public account setup currently and would like to just have users access via that account

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Feb 12 2004, 08:28 AM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

telnet -a passes the current username to the new box .... not what you want for this case. telnet -l username should do what you want...

telnet -l username ip_address

(-l is a lowercase L) ...

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
Beethovan
post Feb 12 2004, 11:57 AM
Post #5

Thank you so much for the information, you've been a terrific help

Beethovan

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 02:34 AM