Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linux Newbie: Knoppix Boot + Program On Floppy
CodeOptimist
post Feb 11 2004, 01:50 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,350

Hi all, could you help out a Linux newbie here? biggrin.gif

I'm trying to run a small distributed computing program on a computer without a hard drive, using a Knoppix live CD. The program to run will hopefully be stored on a floppy disk. I know that the program will run under Knoppix as other users have done this.

Here's the small catch: this computer has 32MB of RAM, so I am stuck using the terminal, instead of KDE or Gnome tongue.gif

Here are my questions:

1. How should I format the floppy? Can I download the program (located here) on a Windows machine, and copy it to a DOS/Windows-formatted floppy? I assume I'd have to "jump through some hoops" to read a FAT-formatted disk natively under Linux?

2. What commands should I keep in mind here? I've looked through the newbie guide you have here (great resource biggrin.gif), so I know how to mount the floppy drive:

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

then do I cd into /mnt/floppy?

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
CO

--------------------
Proud member of Wildfire Games!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Feb 11 2004, 02:07 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Actually, knoppix makes things quite easy for the end user. Assuming you already know how to boot into knoppix without the X-interface (Check the F2 help section on cd boot).

Linux reads and writes to FAT formatted disks just fine without any issues. Knoppix does a nice thing and already sets up your fstab file (the file that stores what filesystems get mounted where with what type of filesystem it is), so, if you wanted to mount your floppy disk after bootup, you would just issue the command:

$ mount /mnt/floppy

That's it, using the fstab file (/etc/fstab), the mount program will know where to find the floppy device, and will mount it fine.

Don't forget to "umount /mnt/floppy" to ensure all your data stays intact on the floppy.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
CodeOptimist
post Feb 11 2004, 05:32 PM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,350

Thanks for the tips, I got it working!

--------------------
Proud member of Wildfire Games!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 06:32 PM