Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Install Solaris 9 On Pc..., Can it be done?
cagey cretin
post Feb 9 2004, 05:45 PM
Post #1

./configure

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,413

I have a PII pc w 192 MB RAM, 6 GB available on a ata 100 HD (would be partition 3). I have maintained a dual boot Win98 SE/Win2K setup for a while.

I downloaded the 3 ISOs for Solaris 9:

Install CD
OS 1
OS 2

I have used a reference book (I'll never learn) from McGraw Hill "Solaris 9 the Complete Reference".

Each time I follow the instructions on the screen, I go through the hour+ of the install and only one time did I get the OS installed. Of course, the network support wasn't running (thought I could enable it later NOT!), so I tried to reinstall. It never really made it through. Each time I think it is going to boot, it tries to install again. Of course, I had checked the option to eject the CD after install and it never does. Nor am I prompted to remove it.

What gives? Should I even bother? I have Redhat humming away just nicely (thank you HJ wink.gif ), but my wife would like to have Solaris here at home so she can use the same platform she has at work.

CC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Feb 9 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

In my opinion NO ... here is my response after an install of solaris 9 for x86 ... I am a Unix Sysadmin since 1992, I have used several UNIX/Linux/BSD variants and the x86 version of solaris is the worst I have ever tried ... even worse than SCO Unixware...(this is my personal opinion, and not assiocated with LinuxHelp.ca).

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 02:15 AM