Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Run A Comand, helo with runing a comand
zerocool
post Feb 9 2004, 03:06 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,324

helllo i would like to know how can i run a comand. for example how do i unzip a tar file that is in my root ddrectory???
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Feb 10 2004, 06:55 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

to run commands in linux ... use either the console (press Ctrl-Alt-F2), login, and type the commands (not recommended) ...OR... a terminal window (recommended).

How to get a terminal window varies by linux distro, but if you are running X and one of the major desktops (KDE, GNOME, XFce, etc.) then press the menu button ... and System (or System Tools) there is a terminal selection.

here are some commands from the console (the command is bold (the text before the dash, and the description is not bold ... so pwd is the command to print the current directroy ):

pwd - stands for print working directory ... Prints the full path of the current working directory

cd path - change directories ... so cd /usr goes to the /usr directory
---------------------
tar - tape archiver .... started as an archive utility to backup multiple files to tape ... can also be used to combine multiple files into one file. The current Linux version can be used in conjuction with gzip and bzip2 to combine (tar) and compress/uncompress (gzip, bzip2) files ... when tar is used to combine files, the file normally has the extension .tar ... if used with gzip the file extension is normally either .tgz or .tar.gz ... if used with bzip2, the extension is normally .tar.bz2.

examples:

tar -xvf filename - extract a .tar file
tar -xvzf filename - extract a .tgz or .tar.gz file
tar -xvjf filename - extract a .tar.bz2 file

to create tar files:

tar -cvf filename.tar path_to_archive
tar -cvzf filename.tar.gz path_to_archive
tar -cvjf filename.tar.bz2 path_to_archive

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 02:54 PM