Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> X Still Running
Bobje
post Feb 7 2004, 01:02 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,310

Sorry if this seems stupid, but I am very new to Linux. I have gone to the command line to install video drivers to get them updated. first the computer is not connected to anything except for power. second, I get to the command line by pressing ctrl-alt-f1 instead of logging into RH9. I then log on through the command line and log "su -". when I try to install the driver (nvidia's), it says X is running and I have to kill it first. I went ps -aux to try to find X but there are more than what a screen will hold and cant find X. is there a way to get only one screens worth to display at a time? Or maybe an easier way of killing X. Maybe a way to get to the command line before X starts even. Thanks for your help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gerikes101
post Feb 7 2004, 02:01 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,275

When you're in the terminal, type the following:

ps -aux | less

or

ps -aux | more

That " | " is called a "pipe" (commonly found on your backslash key), and it redirects all output that would go in this case to the screen into what's after it. "less" and "more" are just ways to view more than one screen of data in single-screen size spoonfuls. (If it says "less not found" or "more not found" or any of that, make sure that those two programs are installed) I would recommend "less", because it allows you to scroll up and down the data, where more doesn't. (As my first linux book taught me, "less is more than more"). Google for pipes, more and less.

Hope that helps.

+Quote Post
Cwix
post Feb 7 2004, 02:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,312

When you boot into linux, in lilo or grub theres a place to put a command into booting use the init 3 command, and it shouldnt load x. Thats what I had to do to install nvidias drivers on my other puter

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 07:31 PM