Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Enabling Lan Access, access LAN using SuSE live eval
newbie111
post Feb 6 2004, 10:04 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,314

Hello everyone. I am considering switching to Linux, as Windows just plain sucks. I have been working with Windows and Macs for years, but I am complete Linux newbie. Mac OS X's terminal is what got me interested in Linux, so I decided to try it out. I downloaded the SuSE Live Eval, so I could try it out. I'm currently running it on a 1.5 Ghz Pentium 4 machine, 512 RD RAM, GeForce 2, etc. Anyway, I'm really impressed with the system so far, but I can't get it to access the network. I use a broadband connection over LAN. I can't find the panel to enter ip address, subnet mask, etc. I tried the "Network and Internet" module in Control Center, but I don't see anything. Could someone help point me in the right direction. I'd appreciate it.

It's hard to evaluate an OS if you can't use the network.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
camorri
post Feb 8 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,146

For someone new to Linux, I would recommend installing Webmin. It provides a gui interface to most system configuration files. It will make a lot of the system administration easier to get started at. It gives the added flexability to use a web browser to remotely configure the machine, when required. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Cheers,

Cliff

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Feb 8 2004, 09:44 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

I haven't used SUSE live eval ... but in a normally SUSE install, you would use YAST to configure the network ...

I would try Knoppix if you can't get the SUSE Live eval working.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 01:41 AM