Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linux 'n Laptops, How does Linux perform on laptops?
fyodorovich
post Feb 4 2004, 05:11 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,288

I've been following the Linux movement lately, but have yet to actually use it. When I first started using computers, we ran an earlier version of DOS. With each Windows release, I feel like I'm less an less in control of my own computer, and it's not a feeling I like. Linux seems to offer an attractive solution to that.

The question is: I use an IBM ThinkPad A20m, designed to work with Windows 2000/98. Is installing Linux on a system like this plausible? Will I be able to retain features like the battery gauge and the function of non-standard buttons (volume, etc.)? Am I likely to have a hellishly difficult time getting my CD-ROM drive to work? In the end, is it really feeling like I'm bucking The Man worth it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Feb 4 2004, 09:10 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

See installing linux on a IBM Thinkpad A20m.

Wether or not it is worth it is an individual question.

It will teach you more about computers and in a tough job market, reguardless of your job, extra computer knowledge can come in handy.

Linux requires a lot more knowledge about computers (both hardware and software) and a lot more knowledge about concepts like client, server, etc.

In the end, I think it is worth it just for the knowledge obtained.

If you expect that linux can do all the things that your windows can, and do them as easily as windows does ... requiring little more knowledge than how to open explorer and double click ... then linux won't meet your expectations.

If you expect to have to spend sometime in the command line, and have to work out some issues ... but never expect to get a virus agian ... Linux will meet your expectations.

BTW, with the specs of that machine, you will need at least 128mb RAM ... the more the better!

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
wookmaster
post Feb 4 2004, 01:48 PM
Post #3

./configure

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,290

I am running RedHat 9 on a toshiba 600 Mhz 256 Meg ram, works pretty good, the ONLY thing I have had a problem with on my laptop is there is no battery indicator for the power. Lindows for laptops did have one though I tried that before redhat I find I like redhat better tho since lindows advertises a bunch of easy installs etc but you have to pay for it and im just a student without much money

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 10:42 AM