Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Modem Trouble, Linux does not connect
darsmit
post Jan 30 2004, 12:25 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,263

I recently had SuSE Linux 8.1 installed on a new eMachine, partitioned to include Windows XP on part of the hard drive. Linux did not autodetect the modem, so I tried to install it, following the instructions. But when I enter a URL on the Konqueror browser, it does not connect. I get an error message about not knowing/recognizing the host (or words to that effect). Is the problem in my installation or in the eMachine modem itself?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Feb 2 2004, 11:16 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

First off, i take it your setting up dial-up access right?

If your modem was, indeed, set up after following the instructions, you need to setup a connection so your computer dials-up to your ISP, negotiates the connection with a username and password, and then establishes a PPP connection. In KDE, you can use the utilitiy "Kppp" which is normally located in the Networking menu. With this program, you can setup the connect with your ISP, enter in your username and password, and dial-up. Kppp does include an option to "Dial on demand" which means when you go to try and access something on the internet while you're not connection, it'll prompt you to dial-up. The bottom line is, you need to configure kppp first before you can do anything.

To test and make sure your modem worked okay, you can use Wvdial or even minicom.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Feb 2 2004, 10:36 PM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

thanks corey ... I'm afraid I have no idea how to use a modem in Linux .... I have always used an ethernet card for connecting....

So I'm not much help with any modem questions unless they are compile or driver problems laugh.gif

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 12:11 PM