Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dnsreport.com Results On My Domain
sebastino
post Jan 30 2004, 03:32 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,217

I we look at dnsreport.com's test result of my domain you can actually see i have problem on my reverse dns and this "acceptance of domain literals"... could someone tell me how to fix this problem? or any working config especially reverse dns zone..

TIA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jan 30 2004, 06:58 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Reverse lookup domains are controlled by the owner of the IP address (usually a Telecom company). Here is the reverse lookup owner for the IP address 203.167.122.235:

I would start with a call or email to the point of contact at the forward look-up mantainer ( HERE and ask them if a reverse lookup can be give to your address. if this is not a permanent address (ie, after a year or two it is going to change), the reverse lookup name might be 235.233.267.203.easterntelecom.com.ph.

It isn't important that the reverse look name match the host name ... only that the machine have a reverse lookup name.

If easterntelecom.com.ph won't help, I'd write an e-mail to dbmon@apnic.net asking for a reverse lookup record...

CODE
domain:       203.in-addr.arpa
descr:        in-addr.arpa zone for 203/8
admin-c:      DNS3-AP
tech-c:       DNS3-AP
zone-c:       DNS3-AP
nserver:      ns.apnic.net
nserver:      svc00.apnic.net
nserver:      nevyn.apnic.net
nserver:      ns2.acld.clix.net.nz
nserver:      ns1.acld.clix.net.nz
nserver:      ns.ripe.net
nserver:      ns.telstra.net
nserver:      rs1.arin.net
nserver:      rs2.arin.net
mnt-by:       MAINT-AP-DNS
mnt-lower:    MAINT-AP-DNS
changed:      dns-admin@apnic.net 20010215
changed:      dns-admin@apnic.net 20010412
changed:      dns-admin@apnic.net 20010611
source:       APNIC
-------------------------------------------------------------
role:         DNS Administration
address:      Level 1
address:      33 Park Road
address:      Milton QLD 4064
phone:        +61 7 3367 0490
fax-no:       +61 7 3367 0482
e-mail:       dns-admin@apnic.net
trouble:      http://www.apnic.net/
admin-c:      HM20-AP
tech-c:       NO4-AP
nic-hdl:      DNS3-AP
remarks:      DNS in-addr.arpa zone files maintainer
notify:       dbmon@apnic.net
mnt-by:       MAINT-APNIC-AP
changed:      dns-admin@apnic.net 19990203
source:       APNIC

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
sebastino
post Feb 9 2004, 05:07 AM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,217

Well I guess that would better, Ill do that. Btw, I owned the domain (sscrmnl.edu.ph) and i ran my own dns server for that domain (dns1.sscrmnl.edu.ph), i have the hosts file and the reverse host file, should be i control the reverse rather than my provider? Should reverse lookup will be originating from my dns server rather than from my provider? In fact, if I try to lookup for the ip addresses directly from my dns server, it actually resolved it, but if i use an outside dns server which is not connected to my org in any way, it cant find it. It supposed to look directly to my dns server, isnt it?

TIA

Sebastino

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Feb 9 2004, 06:26 AM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Not normally ... the reverse lookup domains are normally controlled only at the Class "C" level ... It is possible to assign a subnet of a Class C network to a different server:

http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch3/

The person who controls that IP address (or addresses) would have to make the IN-ADDR.ARPA assignement for that subnet to your DNS ... If it is only 1 IP (or a small subnet of < 32 addresses) it would be easier for them to just add the reverse lookup name(s) you want.

(Although any reverse look name will do from the standpoint of being able to send e-mail ... it doesn't have to be the actual FQDN for the server)

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 07:58 AM