Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why No Gui When Logging In?
sk79
post Nov 25 2002, 12:28 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 160

I've just (finally) managed to install Mandrake 9.0 and am attempting to login for the first time.

I don't get a GUI when Mandrake finishes loading - instead I get a prompt asking me to login (localhost). I can log in as root no problem at all and when I press ctrl-alt-f7, I don't get the GUI (just a flashing cursor).

Someone mentioned configuring XF86 or something (this is my first time with Linux, so I'm lost) Can someone explain how to fix this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Nov 25 2002, 02:49 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

First off, you should make sure that your X is set up properly by manually issuing the command "startx". If everything loads up fine there, you can edit the file "/etc/inittab" and look for a line that states the default runlevel. By the sounds of it, yours should show a default level of "3". You need to change this to "5" and save the file. The next time you restart, it should kick right into the gui screen.

btw, when i mean "edit" i mean, open it up in an editor such as pico, nano, vi or vim. If you don't know how to use any of these, then check out their manual (man vi).

For a brief example on vi, just open the file with the command "vi /etc/inittab". Scroll down using your arrow keys to the line i stated above, you should be able to see it as soon as the editor opens up. When you get down to that line, arrow over to the number, and press " i ". Change the number and then press " Esc ". After that you press " :wq " (yes, that's colon-W-Q") and press enter, that will save the file and exit out.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 03:40 PM