Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sata Hdd, dont werk
fido2
post Jan 28 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,250

ok so i have a computer, with one sata hdd and nothing else (hdd ways anyhow).
as you may allready know, linux does not like satas, but i heard that kernel 2.6 worked with them and you could also get boot diks for them, please advise.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jan 29 2004, 08:07 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Even with the 2.6.1 kernel, the SATA drivers would be considered experimental at best. Here is a link to a post by the driver mantainer for that kernel from only a month ago.

I would not install linux an a sata drive if I expected it to work properly ... I would only put it on a test machine.

The Windows XP drivers for sata aren't as stable as one might think either .... I only have experience with 4 or 5 sata machines ... they are not mine, and all have Althon XP's in them and run Windows XP. All of them have had hard drive corruption type errors and had to be reloaded at least once in the last 4 months.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
fido2
post Feb 5 2004, 01:00 AM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,250

yes, come to think about it, satas are 150% faster than pata smile.gif , but ive reinstalled windows 2k (warez) about 15 times since purchase approx 6 months ago dry.gif . very high corruption rate indeed. getting patas to work with satas is a delecate jumper/bios configuration.
i have regretted purchase. sata cables are thin, thats all thats good really. DONT BUY SATAs. well im off to write reviews, negative reviews.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 11:47 PM