Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can't Log In, can't log in
beinkken
post Jan 26 2004, 08:05 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

I am very new to linux, I installed it earlier today, and so far i have been thrilled with it. Unfortunately I seem to have made a serious mistake. when i installed linux i assigned a username and password (like i was prompted to do). Once installed i decided to change the password and keep the username the same. i found somewhere i could change thepassword and i did. now when i try and log in i get an error message saying that i can't log in because the system administrator disabled my account. well i am the administrator, it is on a home computer. how can i get back into linux. any help will be appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t4tennessee
post Jan 26 2004, 08:28 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,241

I am probably newer than you on linux; however, i did by the linux for dummies book. I had a similar situation about an account not being able to access the username screen. This is what the book says to do. It worked in a round about way for me.

First try to sign in as root. If you can do this just go to users and modify the account that is messed up. If you forgot your root password you can do what the book says which is as follows:

At the boot screen (there are two solutions, this one is for a GRUB boot screen) press E which takes you to a configuration file. Use the arrow keys to go to the line starting with kernel, and press E again to edit that line. At the end of the line, add one space and the word single and press enter to put the change in place, and then press B to boot the machine.

When the machine boots it comes to a prompt (it stopped loading and at that point it was the prompt) If it asks you for a login, type root and press enter. It doesn't ask you for a password. Now change the root password. Type passwd and then enter the new password twice as directed. When you are done type reboot and boot the machine normally.

Like I said, I am a big newbeee. I just copied this out of a book. Hope it helps.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 04:28 AM