Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Audio Cd's, mounting problems
bluesintheblood
post Jan 25 2004, 12:09 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,230

Hi,
I'm running redhat ver9 and i'm having difficulty getting audio cd's to play. My cdrom is also a dvd-rom player and is connected as master on a normal EIDE cable. I know the physical links are ok as it works under windows..
My sound card seems to be set up ok and plays the test sound and window notifications ok. If i put in a normal data cd, i can mount and unmount the drive open files etc..

However when i put in an audio cd, the Gnome cd player starts, it correctly detects the number of tracks and starts playing the CD but no sound comes out (i've checked the volume slider on the player as well). Also If i go into the terminal window and try and mount the device i get an error message saying incorrect data type, and if i try and unmount it it says the deivce is allready unmounted in mstab.

I'm pretty new to linux so please be gentle, as i'm totally foxed on this one...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jan 25 2004, 02:56 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

1. Verify that there is a audio cable connecting the CDROM to the soundcard. Windows Media player does not require this cable to play cd audio ... Linux does.

The cable usually looks like this:

and connects between the back right of the cdrom and the sound card.
-----------------------------
Make sure all the sliders are in the middle and see if you get any sound ... open the volume control and make the adjustments.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
bluesintheblood
post Jan 27 2004, 07:46 AM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,230

Hi,
thanks for that - problem solved.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 12:33 AM