Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turning Phlak Box Into Wap?
g1powermac
post Jan 25 2004, 10:39 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,228

Hi All,

I am using the newest version of the PHLAK distro ( http://www.phlak.org/ ) installed onto my hard drive of an old Compaq Deskpro, and I would like to turn it into a wireless access point for my PowerBook G4 running MacOS 10.2.

Here is what I got for wireless hardware: The Deskpro has a SMC ISA PCMCIA Swap Box with Lucent Wireless card with a recently updated firmware (Its the IEEE 11 mbs one, which I think is 802.11b, right?). The PowerBook has an Apple Airport extreme card which supports both 802.11b and g.

For software, the PHLAK box seems to recognize the Wavelan card since one of the leds on it does turn on during boot. However, the PowerBook doesn't see it, so there must be somethings I need to do to turn it into a WAP. What software do I need and what settings do I need to change to make this work?

Thanks,
JS

BTW, where is the dmesg in linux? I know where it is in the BSDs, but I can't find it in PHLAK.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jan 25 2004, 02:50 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

There is an executable (normally /bin/dmesg) that causes the dmesg to be output ... use the command:

dmesg | less

to review the dmesg output (or dmesg > boot.messages to create a text file)

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 02:20 AM