Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbies, help with newbies problems
EQUINOX
post Nov 23 2002, 02:36 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 183

hye...
i'm new to Linux
currently tried RedHat 7.3

my problem is where can i get Control Panel like in Windows to adjust my Display, Sound etc
currently my display is 1024x but i need 800x600 only

secondly can u help me with mounting?
I just have one floppy, one Hard Disk drive and one CDROM

i tried to download *.zip files in internet but i can unzip it
then i download Zippi programs to unzip my files (zippi is in *.rpm format but i cant run it too...

can u pls help me?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Nov 25 2002, 02:58 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

To adjust your resolution, chances are you will have to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, go to your Monitor section, and under your default color depth take out the option for "1024x768" so it should have only "800x600" "640x480". If you can't find that section, just scroll down through the file until you see the different resolution settings and take out all the 1024x768 settings.

Under redhat, your mounts should be set up for you already. Pop in a cd, and type the command in console (or xterm) "mount /mnt/cdrom" or "mount /mnt/floppy". I believe that Redhat may also include icons on your desktop for the cdrom and floppy that will allow you to mount and unmount. Before you can take the cdrom or floppy back out of the drive, you need to unmount first with "umount /mnt/floppy" and "umount /mnt/cdrom" (yes, that's umount not unmount).

There should be a package for Redhat called "unzip", do a search on www.rpmfind.net for it. To install RPM's just issue the command (as root user) "rpm -Uvh filename.rpm".

Anything else?

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 05:54 PM