Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> *newbie* Lisa Daemon ?, LISA DAEMON DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE WORK..
HONEYWELLJR
post Jan 21 2004, 05:59 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,191

Hello, I am brand new to Linux. Suse 9.0 to be exact, and I love what I see. I have had a few problems that I am trying to sort out. I am hoping this would be a place to get help when I get stuck.

The biggest problem I am having right now is with Lisa Daemon. When I try to use Lan Browsing in Konquerer I get a message that says "The Lisa Daemon does not apear to be working". I have done an exaustive search on the net and have had no luck. There are a couple postings on other boards but, alas, they have not been answered. The few "newbie tutorials" that broach this subject are not "newbie friendly" (isn't that ironic). One thing that might be important is that when I click on the MyNetwork icon that suse installed on my desktop I get an unspecified error. Then Konquerer opens up. That is when I click on the Lan Browsing and get the message explaining that this Lisa is being lazy and she doesn't appear to be working. sleep.gif HELP how do I make her work. My goal is to use the Lan browsing to share files between the SuSE and an XP box. Which I have a pretty good tutorial on, but it doensn't say anything specific to this problem.

Thank you for all your help (in advance tongue.gif )
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
napro
post Jan 21 2004, 03:37 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,190

get a samba server going and Use LinNeighborhood

+Quote Post
HONEYWELLJR
post Jan 21 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #3

I'm not sure but I think I have Samba server going. I mean I know that it's installed.

When I start Konquerer there is a Lan Browsing tab that the SuSE documentation say's uses Samba to connect to other computers on the Network including Mac OS and Windows computers. The only problem is this Lisa Daemon thing.

Thanks

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jan 22 2004, 07:23 AM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

The first thing to try is to run the command (as root in a terminal):

ps -ef | grep lisa

The result should be similar to this:
CODE
ps -ef | grep lisa
root      1971     1  0 06:13 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/lisa -c /etc/lisarc
root      2027  1948  0 06:15 pts/1    00:00:00 grep lisa

If you get to return (or only the second line) then lisa is not running ... try the command:

/etc/init.d/lisa start

Then try the the

ps -ef | grep lisa

command again and see if lisa is running.
--------------------------------------------------
If lisa starts manually, but not at system startup, check to make sure you have it set to start on system startup.

Open YAST, click on System ... then Runlevel Editor ... then find lisa and highlight lisa and click the enable button.

While you are in the runlevel editor, go ahead and enable smbfs, smb and nmb. (Those are the samba services).

Any items that say No for enabled are not starting on system startup...

Press the finsh button and save your changes...
-----------------------------------------------
You also need to configure samba if you want to see windows computers ... Back in YAST, click Network Services and then configure Samba Client and Samba Server

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
HONEYWELLJR
post Jan 24 2004, 01:22 AM
Post #5

That worked !!! well at least it stopped the Lisa Daemon not working error. I haven't finished configuring it to work with windows yet, but it works so far.

One thing though, when you said"

[/QUOTE]While you are in the runlevel editor, go ahead and enable smbfs, smb and nmb. (Those are the samba services[QUOTE]

I don't have smb or nmb in the runlevel editor. Is this a problem?

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jan 24 2004, 11:53 AM
Post #6

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

QUOTE (HONEYWELLJR)
I don't have smb or nmb in the runlevel editor. Is this a problem?
Only if you want to use Samba biggrin.gif
---------------------------
It probably means that you don't have all the samba packages installed ...

Go to YAST, Select Software and then select Install and Remove Software ... In the Filter drop down box, select Search ... then type in samba and select search ....

I have everything except samba-vscan selected ... the items I have installed are:

kdebase3-samba
libsmbclient
libsmbclient3
samba
samba-client
samba-doc
yast2-samba-client
yast2-samba-server

Install all the software and you should be in business....

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 03:31 AM