Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stupid Newbie Question
macaco
post Jan 20 2004, 12:15 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,180

Hey, I've got Windows XP, and when I formatted my HD I set aside a partition to install RedHat into. So now I've gotten around to installing it... it installed fine, but I'm a bit confused.

My brother says that there's a graphical mode, which kind of emulates Windows, but all I can get to is the command line prompt. He used to have Redhat on his computer, and he said "yeah, I had that problem too. I fixed it and got it into graphics, but I can't remember how."

Help?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joey
post Jan 20 2004, 12:00 PM
Post #2

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Try typing startx at the prompt. If you properly configured X during the installation it should load up. Otherwise it will fail and spit out a bunch of error messages. If that happens try running redhat-config-xfree86 as root.

+Quote Post
gangsta_style
post Jan 20 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #3

Grub-er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,649

Ummmm... I suggest you read the "Getting started guide" on the Red Hat site. It will answer most of your questions. But if you get error messages even after you configured it maybe we can help.

And if you want it to boot into graphical mode all the time instead of the prompt edit the "/etc/inittab" file. Change this line: (ONLY THIS LINE!!!)

id:3:initdefault

to

id:5:initdefault

But make sure that X is properly set up and works before deciding to do this.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 02:25 AM