Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Flavor Of Linux Is Easiest To Setup?, Linux flavor?
hotceo
post Jan 17 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,158

I would like to setup a Linux develpment environment, and would like comments on which flavor is easiest to set up?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jan 17 2004, 08:12 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

The easiest Linux to install (in my opinion) is RedHat 9 / FedoraCore .... but RedHat 9 End of life support is April 30th, 2004, and Fedora Core is not yet extremely stable (not to mention the 6 month release cycle). But WhiteBox Enterprise Linux has the same easy setup ... and is based on the more stable RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 source RPMs.

Mandrake is also an easy setup ...

SUSE is (in my opinion) harder to setup (especially the ftp install, their only free version) .... and I absolutely hate YAST (SUSE's update tool).

Slackware is not like most other linux distros (different startup scripts, different installation paths) and it isn't as user friendly to install ... so unless you are developing for slack I wouldn't recommend it.

Debian and Gentoo are both harder to install ... but once installed are well suited for developement (Debian woody is kind of outdated though...but debian sarge would be pretty good). Gentoo takes a long time to do updates (it compiles every update ... and that can take up to a day for things like glibc, XFree86, Gnome or KDE).

----------------------

Installation is only one issue for a developement environment though .... which distro you use would seem to be determined by what kind of things you are trying to develope ...

I would recommend either WhiteBox or Debian.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
gangsta_style
post Jan 18 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #3

Grub-er

Member No.: 1,649

I really agree with what hughesjr on that. I am also pretty much a noob and I found that Debian was a pain in the ass to install on my old computer. So if you wan to go with it make sure you have modern and popular hardware. Because some of the drivers etiher didn't work or were really slow.

I have a RedHat 7.3 Server and a RedHat 9 workstation. And they were both really easy to set up.

By the way what would you like to develop? That might sort of help with your choice.

+Quote Post
witchy2k1
post Jan 25 2004, 07:55 AM
Post #4

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Member No.: 2,227

QUOTE (gangsta_style @ Jan 18 2004, 12:31 AM)
I really agree with what hughesjr on that. I am also pretty much a noob and I found that Debian was a pain in the ass to install on my old computer. So if you wan to go with it make sure you have modern and popular hardware. Because some of the drivers etiher didn't work or were really slow.

I have a RedHat 7.3 Server and a RedHat 9 workstation. And they were both really easy to set up.

By the way what would you like to develop? That might sort of help with your choice.

Speaking for all n00bs I have to say STAY AWAY FROM SLACKWARE!! ohmy.gif

It was a nightmare to try and configure, it didn't like any of my hardware so i gave up and installed Mandrake, perfect - it automatically installed all my hardware and even set me up for internet connection!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 09:01 PM