Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linux / Windows Partition, shared space???
lcaul
post Jan 17 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,157

Im trying to send files from my windows partition to the linux one, but I have no idea how to go about it.

help me out plz
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gangsta_style
post Jan 18 2004, 12:44 AM
Post #2

Grub-er

Member No.: 1,649

Tell a bit more info.... What "format" is Windows partition? (ex FAT32, NTFS...) And what version of what distro?

Because you might already be able to do it without extra packages!

+Quote Post
lcaul
post Jan 18 2004, 12:03 PM
Post #3

im using NTFS on the windows, and using Mandrake 9.2.

+Quote Post
gangsta_style
post Jan 18 2004, 09:07 PM
Post #4

Grub-er

You need to add NTFS support to your kernel. Go here: http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/index.html. Personally I haven't installed it so I can't help you. But I know that for now it ONLY reads the partitions and would corrupt the partition table of you try to write to them. But since you want to copy FROM a windows partition... This should be ok right? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
eXistenZ
post Jan 22 2004, 03:23 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,145

Hi! In the new kernel release (2.6.1) is included support for writing into NTFS partitions but it is experimental and i don't know how it is working.

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jan 22 2004, 06:23 AM
Post #6

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

I'm not sure if the mandrake default kernel includes ntfs support or not ... if it does include ntfs support, it is read only support.

As gangsta_style said, this support would only be to read the files on the windows partition, or copy them to the Linux partition .... you would not have access to any information in Linux from windows.

If the mandrake kernel has NTFS reading compiled in by default, here is how you can read files from the windows partition:

make a directory to mount the partition into....I would use /mnt/windows (or if you have 2 windows drives ... maybe /mnt/c and /mnt/d)....I am going to use /mnt/windows from now on in my example.

You also need to know what you windows partition is ... I will assume hda1 (first partition onthe primary master) ... substitute the correct partitio if other than hda1.

After you pick a name (or names) create the directory (or directories) with the command:

mkdir /mnt/windows

Now you can try and mount the drive in the newly created directory .... use this command:

[/b]mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows[/b]

If you get no errors, you should be able to see your windows partition and copy files frm there under the directory /mnt/windows. You should be able to use konquerer (if you use KDE) or nautilus (if you use gnome) to copy files from the /mnt/windows to your linux drive.

Make sure to use the command

umount /dev/hda1

after closing out your copy program....before you reboot.

------------------
If you get mount errors and are not able to mount NTFS partitions, the problem is probably that you Mandrake kernel doesn't have support for NTFS compiled it ... see gangsta_style's link to add NTFS support to your kernel.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
lcaul
post Jan 22 2004, 01:37 PM
Post #7

well actually, im not sure if I understand this properly, but, the only reason I want to have access to both from both is that I have VERY limited disk space.

Id like acces to my music in windows from linux, and my programming source code in linux from windows.

+Quote Post
gangsta_style
post Jan 22 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #8

Grub-er

Um, I don't think you can access linux partitions for Windows. But if anybody knows about a special program that can do this, please post it! Because in linux you can recompile the kernel to have ntfs support, but in Windows you cannot do that.

+Quote Post
B2daOY
post Feb 5 2004, 02:27 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,300

there is a program form power quest called Partition Magic. It allows you to not only manage, and resize your partitions, but also view their content. yes you can access ext 2 & 3 partitions from windows.

+Quote Post
gangsta_style
post Feb 7 2004, 08:29 PM
Post #10

Grub-er

lol... I'm so stupid. I have that on my computer! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
IIIIJACKASSllll
post Feb 8 2004, 03:35 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,325

I think my question would kind of fall under this category/topic. I have Windows XP Pro (NTFS File Format) and I just recently installed SuSe 9.0 Pro as a dual boot system. Well my problem is this:
I have (3) 120gb Seagate Barracuda V Serial ATA hard drives. One of the drives is the System (MBR) drive and the other (2) have Games, Programs Movies and Music on them. All I want to do is access the files from within Linux and I would think Linux would automatically make a mount for hard drives that are already connected to the computer (such as CD-RW, DVD-RW and Floppy)

make a directory to mount the partition into....I would use /mnt/windows (or if you have 2 windows drives ... maybe /mnt/c and /mnt/d)....I am going to use /mnt/windows from now on in my example.

You also need to know what you windows partition is ... I will assume hda1 (first partition onthe primary master) ... substitute the correct partitio if other than hda1.

After you pick a name (or names) create the directory (or directories) with the command:

mkdir /mnt/windows

Now you can try and mount the drive in the newly created directory .... use this command:

[/b]mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows[/b]

If you get no errors, you should be able to see your windows partition and copy files frm there under the directory /mnt/windows. You should be able to use konquerer (if you use KDE) or nautilus (if you use gnome) to copy files from the /mnt/windows to your linux drive.

Make sure to use the command

umount /dev/hda1

after closing out your copy program....before you reboot.

Would that essentially do the job for me. I really dont want to screw it up because I have weeks upon weeks of time invested in these drives.

I just want to make the switch now because the way I feel is that Linux and other distros are going to be the OS of the future.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 11:32 PM