Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Were To Go?
cainbrain
post Jan 14 2004, 05:32 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,112

can somebody pls direct me to a site that explains and shows how to set up samba, bearing in mind im new to linux. If it helps im running red hat 9
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jan 14 2004, 07:12 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

You can find everything you need here:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/
-------------------
What is you exact goal ... to connect to files on a windows PC and allow that PC to connect to Linux ... that is fairly easy.

If you want to run the Linux machine as a windows Primary Domain Controller though, that is tricky.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
cainbrain
post Jan 14 2004, 02:49 PM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,112

what im trying to do, is get linux and windows to share files, but also i want to get my linux box live on the net, Internet is currently on my xp box with a asdl modem, connecting through the usb.

can you pls direct me were to go so that i can try and configure this

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jan 16 2004, 06:36 AM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

OK ... to use a Windows as the Gateway to the internet, you need to have a network card (NIC) in the Windows XP machine ... and either a network hub (that the XP NIC and the Linux NIC plug into with regular CAT5 network cables) ... or you need a Crossover network cable to connect the machines directly.

Once you have the cables, you need to setup Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the XP machine ... HERE is instructions on ICS for XP.

Basically, you want to set the Windows XP NIC to an IP address of 192.168.0.1 per the instructions on the first page above, then you want to select the network connection that goes to the internet (in this case probably a network connection created by the USB driver) ... and share it via the instructions on the 2nd page above ... then you want to connect your Linux Machine to your XP machine (using a crossover network cable or a hub and 2 straight cables) and then set your Linux machine to DHCP and reboot it.

Your Linux machine should now have a 192.168.0.xxx IP address and should be able to connect through the internet.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 10:37 PM