Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Need Some Help With Redhat 9
Omlet
post Jan 12 2004, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,129

Does anyone know if the athlon xp has a problem with linux?
I have been trying to setup redhat 9 at home because I was impressed with the way it ran at work, however, I go through the graphical setup but it always seizes once it starts copying the os files.
I know that lg cdroms don't like linux, my colleagues and I discovered that the hard way, I have bypassed that by using my cdr as the master cd drive, but I still get the same problem. So my next thought was that my processor was being a sod. Here is a list of my other essential hardware as best as I can remeber.

athlon xp 1800+
gigabyte GA7D-XE motherboard
maxtor 40 gig hardrive
nvidia geforce 2 graphics card

I'm pretty sure I need a new processor, but any advice would be greatly appreciated
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
hughesjr
post Jan 14 2004, 07:03 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

There are people who have that linux on that type of chipset ... so I know it works. I just don't have any experience with those type of boards.

If you have broadband, you can download FedoraCore1 from here ... the install is almost identical to RedHat once you burn the ISOs (How to burn ISOs). You need only the 3 ISOs named:

yarrow-i386-disc1.iso (md5sum: 76ef22495d186580e47efd8d7a65fe6b)
yarrow-i386-disc2.iso (md5sum: fd23fe32fafe7557f5d1fa1d31100580)
yarrow-i386-disc3.iso (md5sum: 6a26b34069639d0c31465d4079a8e1b2)

I personally would recommend BitTorrent (which is a legitimate Peer2Peer system) to do the download ... you can get the latest windows client HERE and a client that has sliders to limit upload rate HERE (I recommend this one ... so you can limit the upload to 80% of your upload capibility and still surf while downloading). If you would like to know more about bittorrent ... look HERE.

If you are going to download via http/ftp instead of bittorrent, I recommend a different download site than the Fedora mirror (it's usually slow) ... I like the Duke University MIRROR or the NOAA MIRROR for FTP downloads.
----------------------------------
If you don't have broadband, you can get the 3 cd's for $6.99 plus shipping from CheapBytes.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 01:04 AM