Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions About Mandrake..., screen too dark & how do I get out of X?
hightreason
post Jan 11 2004, 12:13 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,121

Hi,

I have been using almost exclusively Mandrake Linux for almost a year now and I still have not been able to find the answer to these questions and they're really starting to bug me!

(1) My screen is way too dark! It's usable, obviously because I'm using it, but most pictures are too dark to make out, and if they're kind of dark anyway, I can't make out anything. I can use it as it is, but it's a real pain sometimes. Isn't there any way to make it display at a more comfortable brightness? The brightness on my monitor is turned up all the way. When I boot into Windows on this same computer, the brightness level is fine. Please help.

(2) How do I get out of XWindows?? Mandrake boots up and automatically starts X. When I try to stop XWindows, it shuts down the computer. ctrl-alt-backspace shuts down the computer too. I realize I can run things in Konsole, but there are some things that are just better from the regular command line Linux, like Nethack! It never does display quite right in the Konsole terminal.

Thanks,
Bryan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
two_black_dogs
post Jan 11 2004, 08:20 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,117

(1) My screen is way too dark! It's usable, obviously because I'm using it, but most pictures are too dark to make out, and if they're kind of dark anyway, I can't make out anything. I can use it as it is, but it's a real pain sometimes. Isn't there any way to make it display at a more comfortable brightness? The brightness on my monitor is turned up all the way. When I boot into Windows on this same computer, the brightness level is fine. Please help.

You need to adjust your Gamma correction somehow. Increasing your gamma level will add more "white" to everything on the screen. You may be able to do it with Control Center, I'm not sure. Check in monitor settings for XFree.
I have the same problem in windows when I run DOS based games - can't see anything. I have a prog for that, that adjusts from the default value of 1.00 up to 1.25. If you can do it somehow, try that value for a start, then increase by +0.05 or so. Be careful, because too much Gamma will burn out your screen.

Check these two messages in a REDHAT List:
Gamma Correction
Re: Gamma Correction

--------------------
user posted imagetwo_black_dogs user posted image

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jan 12 2004, 09:04 PM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

To boot to the console, edit the file /etc/inittab and look for the line:

id:5:initdefault:

and change the 5 to a 3 ... so it looks like this:

id:3:initdefault:

then reboot...
-------------------------
you can run x windows by typing:

startx from the console after logging in ... or run your Display Manager by typing xdm (or gdm or kdm) ... whichever one you are currently using.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 05:25 PM