Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Configuration Disappears On Mandrake 9.2, after shutdown-restart
Dologan
post Dec 30 2003, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,042

Hello,
I had been wanting to try out Linux, but hadn't been able due to my lack of a linux-supported modem, what had put me off. I recently got a cable modem and decided to install Mandrake Linux 9.2 since I've read it is one of the most newbie-friendly distros. I like it a lot but I have run into a weird and annoying problem just a couple of days after installing it (download version, w/ first two CDs). Reinstallation with reformatting of the root partition fixed the problem, but now it has arisen again after yesterday's shutdown. I could reinstall again, but I wouldn't like this to happen every time I shut down.
After shutting down and restarting the following day, I've found that most items from my KDE (3.1) menu are mysteriously gone. All configuration items except KDE/periphereals disappeared, as did almost all from the other menus. The mouse buttons, customized for left-handedness, are back to right-handed configuration. The "home" icon on the desktop is dead and using the "Welcome" window to access the configuration utils leads to this error: "Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/usr/share/applnk-mdk/Configuration/Configure your computer.desktop does not exist.".
I hadn't done many things to customise my system, which is why this surprised me. The only two "custom" things I've done to the initial installation that have in common the two times that this problem has ocurred are: 1) modification of /etc/fstab to automount my windows partition and make it available to all users: Line added: "/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,umask=0222,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0". 2) Mandrake update of some components (unfortunately I don't remember exactly which ones (the small ones, mainly). dry.gif ). To my eyes, the second option seems more likely to me, since before I made the update I rebooted a few times without ill effects, iirc.
I think I will reinstall the system (which should fix the problem) and perform some shutdown/restart tests without the updates, so this isn't really a desperate cry for help smile.gif but I would appreciate any feedback about the issue if you have any, since I wouldn't like to suffer this a third time.

My system configuration: Athlon T-Bird 750 MHz, 512 MB SDRAM, Primary master 60 GB HD (with WinXP), Primary slave 20 GB HD (partitions: 6 GB for /, 1 GB for swap, 12 GB for /home), "el cheapo" Lucky Star motherboard (VIA chipset), SB Live! audio, Voodoo3 video, 2 Realtek 8139 ethernet cards, U.S. Robotics 56K crap winmodem.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 06:59 AM