Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Files Disapear From My Mounted Partiton, stored. files disapear after reboot
chalias101
post Dec 23 2003, 05:55 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,011

I created a ext2 partition and mkefs2, then I created a mount to /mnt/lfs and started storeing files. After rebooting my system however the files are gone.

I added the mount to fstab but still my files disapear.

I am trying to build a linux from scratch distro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Dec 23 2003, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

As long as you successfuly unmounted partition prior to reboot, then the files should still be there. Make sure that the partition is mounted by executing the "mount" command by itself and make sure /mnt/lfs is there. If it's not, then it's not mounted properly and would explain why mount point /mnt/lfs is empty.

# mount -t ext2 /dev/hdaX /mnt/lfs

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
chalias101
post Dec 24 2003, 01:47 AM
Post #3

was unaware I had to unmount, but is there then a way to have it automaticaly unmount for me on reboot? I noticed when i do a reboot it says unmounting filesystems but how do I put mine in there.

I think that the /mnt/lfs is being mounted corectly, I am able to store and retrieve files while logged in, only when I reboot they are lost.

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Dec 25 2003, 10:27 AM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

If the file system is in /etc/fstab (and it mounts properly on boot, it will unmount as well on shutdown/reboot.

If you mount manually, you should unmount manually as well prior to shutdown ... although the system will try to unmount it.

I don't know why some files would go away .... is it totally gone or just some files missing?

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
chalias101
post Dec 25 2003, 11:26 PM
Post #5

Yes the files are totaly gone, all 15 tar.gz files. I tryed downloading another two and again after reboot they are gone.

I had followed the directions in a book to add enteries to fstab so that /mnt/lfs was mounted to /dev/hda5 where fdisk -p reports my partiton to be located

possible I typed the line wrong, but I gave up on RedHat linux, so I just put Mandrake Linux in last night over top of RH and I hope this will be easyer, I am gona try to add again to my fstab table and see what the results are

I thank you for your patience, please stand by I will post results.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 09:24 PM