Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Ide's For Linux, Integrated Development Environments
Corey
post Dec 19 2003, 01:09 AM
Post #1

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Even though the hardcore programmers prefer to use programs like emacs and vi for their programing needs, some of us new programmers, or those coming from the Microsoft and Visual Basic world are more comfortable with IDE's (like Visual Studio). I thought I would throw together a few that I have found that may be useful to new programmers. I will also include some that aren't nessesarily full fledged IDE's, but may be helpful. If you have anything to add, please do so.

Note: I am not a real programmer, I play around with things here and there. I'm currently in the process of learning C, but my general knowledge is lacking. I will put brief descriptions here, but please be advised that it's from a novice point of view and not an expert!

KDevelop - KDevelop is an IDE available under the GPL license. It is developed generally for KDE use, but can be used for many types of C and C++ applications. It manages the development tools such as compiler, linker, debugger and build system. It has some wizards included that will generate a small, but helpful "Hello World" app to get you on your way. It has support for internationalization, CVS, debugging, a console, syntax highlighting, support for QT/Embedded projects, and much more. Along with the wizards, KDevelop also includes templates for projects such as KControl modules, Kicker applets, KIOSlaves, Konqueror plugins and desktop styles. In a beginners point of view, KDevelop is easy to use, and makes it quick to get a sample program up and running. The Kdevelop website also includes various tutorials that will help you get your first project off the ground. This is definitly one to check out!

Anjuta - Anjuta is similar to KDevelop in many ways, it's easy to navigate, easy to use, and not very scary to the new programmer. While KDevelop is geared towards KDE and QT programming, Anjuta is geared more closely to Gnome and GTK programming. Anjuta includes such features as syntax highlighting, code formatting, code autocompletion, calltips, a debugger with interactive execution with breakpoints/watches/signal/stack manipulation. Similar to KDevelop, Anjta also boasts a number for application wizards to create console, GTK and Gnome applications. Anjuta's website does include some tutorials, but they are not very well laid out.

QT Designer - QT Designer is not nessessarily an IDE, it is however an interface builder. You can use Designer to create the user interface for your project, and plug them in to your QT project. I have found designer is quite easy to use, once you read a little documentation on how QT works with signals and connections. KDevelop works very nicely with QT Designer, there is even a tutorial on the KDevelop website devoted to it.

Glade - Glade, like QT Designer, is an interface builder for GTK+ and Gnome. I haven't used glade in a very long time, so I don't have much experience in it. There is a short tutorial on their page, but I found it very lacking, check it out if your interested in GTK+ interfaces.

Please reply with some additional programs and/or comments.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Corey   Ide's For Linux   Dec 19 2003, 01:09 AM
- - Hemant   As..i have suggested... kylix would be a nice repl...   Dec 20 2003, 04:40 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 10:34 AM