Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Windows To Linux Transition, Please give me feedback!
Nyhm
post Dec 17 2003, 02:56 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,978

I've been a windows user forever blink.gif , and I've done a lot of research on Linux and would love to give it a try. I want to add it to my current home PC (which is mainly used for playing games) and get a better gaming machine running on XP. My only questions is: what Linux should I be using for a home PC? Im more than likely going to keep playing games on the Linux box, but I also plan to brush up on more of my programming, etc. I hear its a lot more stable and felxible. I was told by a few people to get Mandrake and was told by a few more to get Redhat..... bahh someone help me out here pleeease! sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Dec 17 2003, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Basically RedHat and Mandrake are the same ... But RedHat is stopping support for all it's non-enterprise releases. Fedora Core is now a replacement for RedHat.

Either is good ... I like Fedora Core a little bit better (because I like the installer more).

If you have any preference between the two, go with that one....if you don't I'd go with Fedora Core, because there is a larger user base and a little more support for 3rd party programs.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 11:03 AM