Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> About Wine, just got it...
Yakoob
post Dec 16 2003, 03:37 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,868

I've started using WINE yesterday and even managed to run my Half Life yay smile.gif
But I have a couple of questions...

Is there a dx9 support? I tried running HALO demo (yeah, speaking of breaking Microsoft's heart) and it told me I need DX9 to run it...
Also I've managed to run HL as I mentioned but it was weird. I got some MCI error (HL error not linux) and then the hl logo had wrong colors (it was an avi file put above the main manu actually). Also, it re-sized my screen to a smaller resolution so if I moved my mouse to the end of the screen, I could scroll away and see my linux background (I also had to scroll around to see some icons, kinda annoying). Is there a way to prevent it...? Cause it stayed like this after I closed the application (had to aLT+f4 as it hang up).
Lastly, my sound is kinda choppy (in-games and winamp). Is this normal?

Any other tips on configuring WINE? I've installed it from the source, latest versions and done no configuring whatsover (I used wineinstall so it set up everything for me). I'm running RedHat 7.1 or something around that.

Thanks in advance...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yakoob
post Dec 16 2003, 07:27 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,868

One more thing...
Every time I run half-life it asks me to enter cd-key, I have to re-configure my controls, there are no save files etc.... why
Also, I've just noticed that since my hl.exe hang up last time, it wont work anymore (after it asks me to enter cd-key, screen goes black and then I see a distorted image of my desktop and nothing!)

blink.gif

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Dec 17 2003, 03:17 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Wine doesn't support all directx features ... and I think it currently only has support for directx 8.

Do you have the latest Wine version? You can get it HERE ... or if you want to live on the edge, the daily builds...

You can search for what apps wine supports and issues HERE.

If you really want to have the best chance of getting newer windows games to work on linux, then WineX is probably your best bet.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 09:53 AM