Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Cpu Fan W/ Variable Speedcontrol Defaults To Low
mrbardman
post Dec 13 2003, 06:59 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,952

I am cooling my cpu with the Thermaltake Volcano 9, and it is set up with a tempsensor under the cpu. This should drive the fan speed according to cpu-temp. It works normally in WindowsXP. When I boot into Linux, the fan goes to the lowest rpm-setting and stays there. I thought this setup was controlled by bios (ASUS A7N8X/AMD2500+) but it seems like Linux takes control somehow.

How can I get the variable fan to work correctly? Nothing found on Thermaltakes website. I know I could always hardwire the fan to full blast but that is noisy, and inconvenient as I also boot into Windows regularly.

Thnks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
hughesjr
post Dec 13 2003, 08:56 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

I looked at the information on the website ... the best that I can tell, this product doesn't interact with the OS or the BIOS at all. It has it's own temperature sensor that controls the fan speed by adjusting the fan voltage directly. The hookup to the motherboard is for power only.

I would think (by looking the info) that it would work the same on Win98, DOS, XP, Linux, etc.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 08:36 PM