Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Programming In Linux, Resources for Programming under Linux
Corey
post Dec 11 2003, 11:48 PM
Post #1

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I don't call myself a programmer, however, I do know bits and pieces of a few languages. One thing that I have found difficult is to find information on the internet about how to program for the linux operating system. I know how to basically create source files, and compiling one or two files into an executable, but what are the steps of creating a full fledge linux project (GPL or other similar license)?

I would like visitors to post some helpful resources for programming in linux, it can be for any language. I would like to create a resource of such for visitors who are interested in programming but do not know where to start.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mno
post Dec 16 2003, 07:21 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,973

Well... you have the compiler already installed for you with your Linux distribution. That compiler (usually gcc) can handle C/C++ compilation. Writing source code can be done in vi (or any other text editor you have, vi's very good though and not difficult at all - the basic commands are very simple). Once you have a simple C/C++ programm written, execute gcc --help and you'll get a list of commands. I'm sure there's one for building, compiling, etc. I don't know about packaging (probably not, you'll need some package manager like RPM on RedHat) but that can be done with the package manager you most likely have (RedHat has RPM, read it's help and man pages for more info).

Hope this helps a bit,
Max
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 10:28 AM