Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie- Can't Keep Dsl Connection Active
at0mb0mb
post Dec 9 2003, 10:17 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,933

Used Yast2 to set up DSL dial up connection. Connects oks, I can surf the web, ect. After the connection "times-out" for being inactive- I can't reconnect to the internet. I have the connection set as "dial on demand."

The only way I can get the connection back is to delete and reinstall the DSL settings in Yast.

Is this a bug or do I not have something set in-correctly?

Help!

@m
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Dec 9 2003, 07:52 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Is there a permanently connected option?

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
at0mb0mb
post Dec 10 2003, 09:43 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,933

From what I have found, the only way to keep it permanently connected (in theroy) is to set the "time-out" option to "0." However, I have changed this, and it still won't work.

I only way I can get it to work, is if I completly reinstall SuSE and configure the settings. After I restart the computer or my ISP kicks me off for being inactive too long, it will not reconnect.

It appears something changes after the initial setup. I have compared the Lunix settings to my XP settlings- and it appears to be the same. XP works fine- so I know its not the ethernet port or connection to the DSL modem. It has to be something with the settings in SuSE.

+Quote Post
linuxinit
post Dec 10 2003, 09:49 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,934

are you using the ethernet or the usb cable to connect the modem to the computer? i used to have dsl and if i remember correctly then there are (i think) 2 more options...stay connected and off(or somethin like that). I switched to cable (its better and you dont have to use software to connect)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 04:38 AM