Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forwarding Emails With Sendmail., help!
linuxrdj
post Dec 5 2003, 02:38 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,914

Okay - i'm running rh linux 9 behind a comcast cable connection. everytime i send an email from my domain (flyin-ryan.net) i get an email returned from comcast's mail admin saying that i need to forward my email through smtp.comcast.net any ideas of how to set this up with RH9?

Thanks

Ryan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joey
post Dec 5 2003, 06:33 PM
Post #2

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I assume your domain is hosted on your rh9 box? If comcast is blocking outgoing traffic to port 25 then you'll have to set your outgoing mail server to smtp.comcast.net in whatever mail client you use.

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Dec 5 2003, 08:10 PM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Member No.: 1,151

Some Cable/DSL ISP's (in the interest of preventing SPAM) are blocking all SMTP (port 25) traffic out of thier networks from non business class customers. (This has the added benefit of generating more rvenue for them).

I am running a mail server as well on a cable link as well, but the terms of service say that items like that require a business class service.

With most SPAM now being routed via broadband connected users who have trojans installed on their PCs, and with the terms of service not allowing servers on non-business services... I can see the Broadband ISP's point. I certianly wouldn't be happy about it if my ISP did it, but I would then have to buy the business class service.

I'm sure the ISP is only going to route mail out if you are using their address in the From: field...I don't know of a way that sendmail can use an account to send mail via another server unless the remote server is set to relay mail from the sending domain ... and I doubt your ISP will setup to allow you to relay unless you are a business class customer.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
chrisw
post Dec 6 2003, 03:49 PM
Post #4

RMS is my Hero

Member No.: 5

you can set the
smart_host in the sendmail.mc and
rebuild the sendmail.cf file
by running make -C /etc/mail

and restart sendmail and you should be ok

--------------------

Chris W.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 09:03 PM